Saturday, November 22, 2008

Plans are coming together!

We had our first meeting with Fr. Mark to introduce Brendon and do the preliminary paperwork (names, baptism, ceremony date etc). We have to go back next week to complete the PMI, the Pre-Marital Inventory. It's 181 questions about our expectations about being married, about money, us as individuals, our future plans, personal beliefs etc. It's really quite weird but I think the entire point is to make sure we're both taking this seriously and have a chance to talk about all the important topics. We read the questions and choose either "agree/disagree". If there are topics that we have different opinions on, then that's something to discuss. And if there's a few important topics that we both agree on, then that's also something to discuss. My personal favourite question is "I am afraid of my future husband." Honestly, if it takes getting engaged, doing all the planning, meeting with the priest, then having a multiple-choice questionnaire to get that information out of me?? then there's a bigger problem! The question that made me laugh was "I have hobbies that I don't enjoy sharing with my partner" which I have to agree with! Apparently, that's bad. But I mean really, can you see Brendon tying on a coin belt and bra, getting on stage at the Fringe Festival and performing?? NO! (Although... the mental picture does makes me giggle!) I don't think having different hobbies is such a bad thing. I am worried about explaining tribal belly dance to my priest without making him blush! LOL

And we just put our deposit on the hall!! It's so exciting!!! We're toured three venues: the U of M Faculty Lounge, Red River College Princess Campus and the Irish Club. The Faculty Lounge was incredible and I have to thank Jamie and Kevin for recommending it (sorta...) but it was just waaaaay out of our price range. RRC was neat, but noisy and too industrial for us. All the exposed piping and concrete and glass makes a beautiful location, but it just wasn't the environment we were looking for. Plus, sound just reverbs off the walls so when the dj starts, you won't be able to hear yourself think! So, our last location was the Irish Club which we fell in love with immediately! It's so cozy and the pub is STOCKED! Plus there's a smaller pub off to the side with the dart board and the pool table so when we open up the dance floor, anyone looking for a quieter room can hide in there! Tony, the chef, used to work at the Marlborough and other big hotels in the city, but has decided to retire from large catering jobs (1200 people usually) to small events like ours (1/10th that). We have our choice of "anything you want" for the menu. We both have our hearts set on cabbage rolls and perogies, and probably a vegetarian lasagna and a meat...either roast beef or ham. The weddings so soon after Thanksgiving that we immediately scratched turkey off the list. Oh, risotto is also an option, which I know is a favourite of Catie.

And I got a quote for the wedding cake but while she was giving me the details, the fire alarm went off and they had to evacuate the bakery so... *fingers crossed* they haven't burned down!! Is that supposed to be a bad omen? ;-)

1 comment:

Holly said...

I think I'd be somewhat frightened of your future husband if I came across him in the Exchange District while he was dressed in a bra, skirt and coins...perhaps this is something worth discussing with Fr Mark.

Risotto will probably also be a favourite of Jennie's as she'll be about 18 months old by then, and Cate more than halfway to 5 (!). Cate also loves lasagne -- anything pasta-based -- but neither has ever had perogies. I think Patrick has. Something which we definitely must rectify at Christmas.