Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fittings

So I went for my first dress fitting yesterday. I was pretty anxious about it because of past experiences with wedding attire fittings. At one wedding, about 10 years ago (I'm not saying which of my bridesmaid's wedding it was), our dresses were made by the mother-in-law and there was a "communication problem" about my measurements, so the MIL made the dress relative to the size of my chest. There was so much extra material that the MIL ended up having to crawl inside the dress (while I was wearing it) and sew the dress onto my underwear to keep the dress in place. The front of the dress was so low that the 'girls' made an appearance while I was signing the guest book. My mother was there to photograph that incident. A few years later, as a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding, we were getting our fittings done at the Bay where the crazy Russian saleswoman kept commenting about how small my chest is (the same chest that was too large for the previous dress!) and how large my gut was. She recommended that I invest not only in an super push up bra with extra padding, but a girdle to hold my pot belly in!

Yeah, so there was a fair bit of anxiety when I tried my wedding dress on again. I haven't worn it since February when it fit nicely, a little loose up top, but the rest hugged me perfectly. We've been doing the P90X exercise videos for 8 weeks now and I've lots a total of 4.25" in my chest/waist/hips measurements. The dress is still snug in the hips (despite them now being 1.25" smaller) while the rest needs to be taken in only slightly. I didn't think it needed to be taken in that much, but the two seamstresses kept tugging and pinning and poking and commenting, and ummmmm, manipulating (is that the right word??) my chest because "they're so big but your waist is so tiny". LOL The dress will be ready in 2 weeks, so hopefully I don't change size too much in the next 14 days or else I'll have to pay another $200 in alterations!

2 comments:

Sasha said...

Well, it sounds like you should be all set to go! At least you only have 14 days to worry about. When I tried my dress on - they did the alterations in May and then I didn't have it again until August. Yikes! Thankfully it fit...and I am sure that yours will too! Can't wait to see you in it!!

Brendon and Eilean said...

And I got fitted for my tux too. But I have far less dramatic things to say.